Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gotta run!

This is going to be a quick post. I was procrastinating about making food for the party tomorrow and now I'm kind of against the wall, so I have to go to the grocery store and do some serious prepping so tomorrow isn't too overwhelming before the party. So let's go straight to breakfast!



1/3 c of rolled oats, 1/3 c skim milk, 1/3 c water, 1T cocoa powder + 1/2 banana all microwaved for a little over 2 minutes. Then I topped it off with a serving of TJ's trek mix. Nice and warm (and chocolatey!) for this super cold morning. Sorry it looks like a brown mess...

I had an early workout today so there was no need for a pre-workout snack. I couldn't decided on whether I wanted to do 2 workouts again, but figured it was maybe a little too obsessive so I had one workout that's slightly longer than usual (75 minutes). At the gym I took a "Butts & Guts" class, which is kind of like an interval training boot camp style class - a mix of cardio and lifting. It was great! I then jumped on the elliptical for 15 minutes and finished my workout with a 15 minute abs class. I was done after that!!!! And I was hungry...

Lunch: leftover risotto from last night.



And a clemantine:



Then I got a craving for chocolate so I had a few squares...



And then I wanted to eat my second planned snack (hummus + crackers) but I couldn't find the crackers anywhere!!! I know I brought them to work, but I looked absolutely everywhere with no luck. It's funny because I planned to have the same thing yesterday but forgot the hummus at home. Today I had the hummus but no crackers. Hmm. I seriously considered eating the hummus with a spoon (I know, classy!) - I love hummus, but instead decided to raid my desk drawer for other goodies. I found this bad boy:



Nectar organic cranberry, apricot and almond fruit & nut bar. It's basically kind of like a larabar. How cute is my paper clip holder?!

Here is what it looks like on the inside:



I ate about half of it and decided that it's not what I really wanted to I put the rest away. (btw, it wasn't very good). The search for more food continued. The whole missing crackers thing really threw me off! I found a bunch of instant oatmeal packets in the drawer and a packet of barney butter. So I made it!



There was more almond butter added after I took this pic (I ate the whole packet = 1 tablespoon). This stuff was just ok. I thought it would fill me up, and it did. I think what I really wanted was haloween candy everyone complains about but these are nowhere to be seen in my office. If we had them, I'd be complaining too because of all the temptation, but we didn't, so I wanted some. I'm weird like that. Anyways, we didn't have any halloween candy so I stopped eating... until dinner.

Dinner was pretty awesome. I've been smelling steak lately, every time I pass by a restaurant. So a few nights ago when we were at a grocery store we picked up some super lean beef. I marinaded it last night with some canola oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and some thai red curry paste. Today I grilled on on an iron grill pan for about 4 minutes on each side. But before that, I made some sweet potato "fries." Cut one large sweet potato into wedges, spray with olive oil spray, bake in the oven at 500 degrees for about 25 minutes. I tossed it with some garlic and parsley when it came out of the oven and served myself a 1/3 of the fries (my husband had the rest). For another veggie, I sauteed some spinach with garlic and a tiny bit of chicken broth. It was super garlicky and delicious :) So here is my plate:



The marinade was amazing... the whole meal was amazing actually! I have some of the beef (same portion as pictured - a little over 3 oz uncooked) left for a salad tomorrow. It was hard not to eat the whole thing but I know I'll be happy tomorrow! :) And then, even though I was probably out of calories for the day, because I knew I wanted some real dessert, I made 2 chocolate chip cookies (from TJ's frozen isle). I figured if I didn't have dessert tonight I would just pig out tomorrow, and that would be worse.

Here they are + a decaf vanilla tea.





Super buttery! They are 120 calories each, so it's not that much damage. My husband stole half a cookie and saved me 60 calories right there :P My belly is happy now so I'm happy :)

Ok, I'm off to the grocery store! I'm making the spinach artichoke dip I made for the last few parties (it was requested by the hostess!) and a few other goodies. Stay tuned for the update on those!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree those nectar bars are not very good at all, however those cookies look plenty delish!