Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Catching up

I'm new at this blogging thing but wow, is it easy to get behind! I was rushing after work yesterday to cook dinner before heading out to a Red Sox game, and here I am trying to catch up on two days worth of food and workouts. I'm happy to report that I'm back at being healthy (and somewhat sane :D)

So let's start with yesterday morning. I'll try to keep it short and sweet. My breakfast was peanut butter-themed oats (1/3 c oats, 1/3 skim milk, 1/3 c water, 1/2 banana topped with peanut butter granola and a table spoon of chunky peanut butter) + some coffee.

It was a great way to start the day! Then I had a large snack of chobani vanilla yogurt with some kashi golean cereal, raisins and sliced almonds.

This was my first time trying chobani. The whole food blogging world is crazy about these, so naturally I've been dying to try them. They only sell them at Stop and Shop in Boston (where I never shop) so this weekend when we finally were around one, I got really excited and got 4 yogurts (1 vanilla, 3 plain because the flavored kinds start to be a bit too caloric for my liking). So anyways, I have to say I was quite disapointed. The vanilla flavor made me gag a little (sorry for the gross description, but it's true). I usually like vanilla yogurts, so I don't know what was wrong with this one, especially since everyone else seems to like them. I will not be buying this kind again.

On to lunch... since I haven't worked out in 3 days by that point, I was dying to go to the gym and bang out the 7 mile run I was planning for Sunday. Well, I forgot a co-worker of mine was moving back to London and they had a farewell pizza lunch for him (which is when I planned on going to the gym). I politely declined the invitation but started feeling guilty once 12 pm struck. I sat at my desk for a bit and then decided to bring my packed lunch into the meeting room. People gave me a few comments, like "You're too healthy! Have a slice!" but then we all moved on and I think I made the right choice. My lunch was amazing; exactly what I was hoping it would taste like :)

I had a roasted beet, goat cheese, pecan, tomato and raisin salad with a bit of home-made balsamic vinegrette (1 tsp olive oil + a splash of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and pepper) and a Trader Joe's low carb tortilla wrap with 1 T of Sabra hummus (not pictured). Soooo good!

A little close-up of the beets... Mmm.

I'm pretty proud of this one. It was inspired by a roasted beet salad from Sweet Basil and now I can make it any time myself :)

I left work early so I could still workout. No more skipping workouts!!! I really hate that. I ran 7 miles as planned + walked for about 1/2 mile for warm-up and cool-down. My legs were sore for hours after! It felt good to do it, though :)

And then for dinner I was finally going to make the turkey lasagna I've been meaning to make for like a week now. Well I did make it, but I didn't have enough time to eat it before the game, so I had to go to Plan B and have a quicky dinner instead. The lasagna was my lunch today :)

Here is what I had for dinner last night:

Cambell's Select Harvest mexican style chicken tortilla soup (ate about 2/3 of the can/bowl) + a slice of Arnold's double fiber bread with reduced fat cheddar. My options were limited because I was unprepared (since I planned on having the lasagna) but this dinner was quite nice actually. Here is another shot of the soup...

I rounded out the meal with a half serving of TJ's chocolate covered edamames because I realized that I didn't have chocolate all day and we just can't have that :D Loves these!

And off we went to the Sox game. But not before pulling the lasagna out of the oven. Mmm, cheese...

I was stuffed from dinner during the beginning of the game, but then the constant smell of food got me a bit hungry during the game. I didn't want to spoil my day by buying something greesy though, so I had nothing: no food, no beer. I still had fun, even though the Sox lost :(

This morning I was eager to start with another yogurt concoction, this time with the plain chobani. I had it with 1/2 banana (that's hiding inside the yogurt), a serving of TJ's nutty american trek mix and some kashi go lean. Yum! I could eat this breakfast every single day of the week :)

About an hour later I had a coffee with half and half and some sugar. And two hours or so later, I dug into my lunch: 1/6 of the lasagna + a small apple. It was quite delicious. My husband had some for his lunch too and gmail-chatted me (is that a verb?) with this message: "Great Lasagna!" These two words said it all and put a smile on my face. Since we didn't taste it together last night, it was nice to get some feedback :D

Can you see the 7 layers? It was layered with turkey, broccoli, squash, ricotta, mozzarella and of course pasta sauce. It was the perfect pre-workout meal (I had it a little over an hour before I went).

Speaking of my workout, today I took a Stability Ball class, which is basically a bootcamp type class (hard stuff!) and I rounded out the hour by 3 minutes of jump rope and 15 minutes on the elliptical. After showering and getting back to work, this was my recovery snack:

Self-explanatory, right? And then a few hours later I got really hungry and ate a large pear, a 100 calorie pack of almonds and 1 prune. And then I waited (im)patiently for work to end so I could make an early dinner. I was still hungry. Today was another random dinner (the whole having lasagna for lunch instead of dinner threw me off) so I made a mishmash of stuff: a TJ's salmon patty with 1 light laghing cow wedge, sliced tomatoes, pickles and wasabi mustard on eizikel english muffin + a simple salad of mixed greens, shredded carrots and raisins (added after the picture was taken). It was ok. I'm glad we're out of the salmon patties; they're a little too fishy tasting...

And because I wanted to get the fish taste out of my mouth, I had some chocolate. Ok ok, I had chocolate because I just LOVE chocolate. Here it is, just one square. I'm trying to practice moderation.

Sorry for the long post! I'll try to not get behind for 2 days. I'm off to clean the apartment and spend time with my husband. Tomorrow there will be A LOT of temptation coming my way. I'll report how I did...

No comments: