Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bright and early

Good morning! I'm in a real "housewife mood" today. I woke up bright and early at 8:15am (on a Saturday!), itching to do some baking. But first, I had to make breakfast. Having oatmeal or yogurt seemed too boring for the weekend. I love these two breakfasts and all of their variations, but I wanted to make something that I wouldn't make on a weekday. Soo, I started looking through some cookbooks and online recipes for a pancake recipe. I found this recipe on Kath's blog (which has been in my "to-make" folder) but I only had 1 chobani left and I didn't want to "waste it" on pancakes. Quality greek yogurt should be eaten on its own (with toppings), I think. Then I found this recipe in my South Beach Diet cookbook. I didn't make the peach compote with it, so I added 2 teaspoons for sugar to the 1/2 batch for sweetness (like Kath does in her recipe). I also sliced a banana and added it to the batter to make banana whole wheat pancakes :) Here is the wet batter pic (I just mixed everything in 1 bowl - no need to dirty up 2):



Here is the first batch cooking:



I used 1/4 c of batter for each pancake and it made 10 all-together. And here is my plate with coffee and a teaspoon of maple syrup for dipping :D



And pancakes up close:



They came out really yummy. The only thing I would change next time is adding the bananas straight on top of the pancakes in the pan, for a more even distribution. Also, I'd use 2 bananas because they were really the best part.... super sweet and moist.

And now I'm making bagels. I know it's super ambitious, but I'm up for the challenge since I have all the ingredients. Hopefully these will be better than store bought. I'll report later on my final results.

Other things planned for today:
1) go to the gym for a 6 mile run
2) go to the Apple store to check out the new laptops (mine is overheating like crazy; I'm actually using my husband's right now because mine shut down again during this post due to overheating)
3) do some serious re-organizing + cleaning
4) maybe bake something with the apples I picked last week. That's a big maybe because I don't know if I feel that ambitious... baking 2 things in one day :)

Happy Saturday!

No comments: